Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne


Not sure which program you're eligible for? See Study Abroad or Exchange. (Australian or New Zealand citizens may apply for Study Abroad or Exchange if eligibility criteria are met.) Our Study Abroad overseas representatives can also assist you in the application process.

You should discuss your Study Abroad or Exchange plans with an advisor at your home institution before applying.

Academic eligibility

  • Completion of two semesters of full-time study (equivalent to an Australian bachelors or masters degree) outside Australia at the time of entry to the University of Melbourne
  • A minimum stipulated in one of the following grading systems or an equivalent grade from any other country (as Study Abroad and Exchange students come from all over the world so it is not possible to list all equivalencies here):
    • Canada/USA - 3.0 grade point average or higher
    • China PRC - an average of 75 or 4 (liang-hao "良好") or higher
    • Chile - 5.0 average or 66% or higher
    • Europe - 'C' average in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or higher
    • Japan - 70% average or 'C' or higher
    • Mexico - 80% average or higher
    • South Africa - 60% average or higher
    • UK - 60% average or higher
  • Some subjects have prerequisites. Check the Faculty specific requirements & restrictions and the University of Melbourne Handbook.

English language requirements

  • You must satisfy the University's English language requirements for international students.
  • If you are studying at a university where English is not the language of instruction, you must provide evidence that you have met the University's English Language Requirements (including original IELTS or TOEFL test results if applicable).
  • Special arrangements exist for some study abroad and exchange students and these are listed on the English language requirements webpage.

NOTE: Students from countries which the Department of Home Affairs assesses at level 3 or 4 for higher education must sit an IELTS test (no other English test is acceptable to the Department) in order to obtain a student visa. You can check your visa assessment level on the Department of Home Affairs website or refer to the visa section for further information.