Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Study Abroad or Exchange?

Both programs involve studying away from your home institution for one or two semesters, but there are important differences between the programs.


Exchange program

  • Your home institution must be a University of Melbourne partner through a formal exchange agreement
  • You must be nominated for the program by the exchange coordinator of your home institution
  • The University of Melbourne must accept your application
  • If selected, you remain enrolled with your home institution
  • You continue to pay your home institution fees
  • The academic program you undertake may be credited towards your degree as per the formal agreement between the two institutions.

Study Abroad program

If your home institution does not have a formal exchange agreement with the University of Melbourne, or if the exchange numbers are unevenly balanced, you can apply to participate in the Study Abroad program.

  • You can study at the University of Melbourne for one or two semesters
  • You will pay fees to the University of Melbourne
  • You must gain approval from your home institution's Study Abroad advisor regarding credit for your University of Melbourne academic program
  • You may apply directly to the University of Melbourne or through one of our Overseas representatives.

Other options

If you wish to study a full degree program at the University of Melbourne, see information for future International Undergraduate or International Graduate students.

If you are a current University of Melbourne student wishing to go on exchange, visit the Melbourne Global Mobility outbound students website.